The commonest questions that arise in a patient’s mind before and after IVF are what doctors need to answer and thus relax the IVF patients. One has to take required precautions before and after the embryo transfer. They are indeed very worried about the risk of failure and whether the embryo will fall out of the uterus and whether they could embark on physical activity. Such doubts do arise in their minds and naturally, the doctor has to convince the patients that there is nothing to worry about.
What needs to be done for IVF, before and after?
- Bed rest does not assist in improving pregnancy rates after IVF. Patients usually feel that they must have a lot of rest.
- The spouse need not be overprotective with his wife and control her daily activities. He might tell her to take lot of rest and so forth. This can be avoided according to the doctors as there is nothing to be so concerned about. For example, one may ask her not to go to work or to be careful with what she drinks and eats.
- The wife would like the pampering of her husband but at the same time, she knows what is good for her during the IVF treatment. After all, she will not take chances of not getting pregnant.
- It is important to avoid taking the advice of all and sundry and sticking to what the doctor says.
- It is good to get back to work after IVF and be gainfully employed. The woman need not give up her work. Sitting at home can be demoralizing.
- One has to cope up with any anxiety and concern felt. After all, there is much emotional stress but yet one need not get worked up about the treatment.
- Patients on bed rest tend to brood all day long about the outcome and therefore it is better to keep the mind engaged in some fruitful activity. One can become a burden if one rests on the bed.
- Accept the process of the treatment as per se as you cannot do something about it.
More to think about…….
After embryo transfer
Taking it easy
One must relax. One must get adequate sleep. Go for a quiet walk if one is feeling anxious. It can be very refreshing for the mind.
Abstaining from vigorous exercise cum sexual intercourse
The ovaries are likely to continue being enlarged and heavy workouts may not be good or having sexual intercourse. Both of these activities can lead to uterine contractions, so it is better to abstain from them for a couple of weeks.
Eat as if one is already pregnant
Eat well and a nutritious one that too. One must have a balanced diet with lots of protein, fiber as well as vegetables. Do avoid foods such as high-mercury fish as well as soft cheeses and take a vitamin supplement as per doctor’s recommendation. Avoid substances that harm health such as alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine.
Avoid extremes of temperature
Hot tubs, saunas, hot yoga, or any activity that raises your internal temperature is something to avoid at this point. In general, it is best not to be submerged in water such as pools or baths during this time, as it leaves you vulnerable to infection. Stick to a soothing hot shower until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Lean on your support system
One must get the support of one’s partner, group support, friends, family as well as therapist as well as from the fertility clinic or even from an online community. It is better to avoid anxiety and isolation. One must not try to cope up with stress alone. Do not try to shoulder your stress alone. Let other people cheer you on as you wait to find out if embryo implantation was successful.